This week I wanted to divert from my ‘Top 10’ category, because I was somehow reminded of this beautiful concept that we sometimes forget. I figured “hey this idea is going to make me itch until I post it, so might as well get it out there”.
Paying it Forward…what does it mean? I think we’re all aware of the concept however, we overlook it most of the time. This concept became popularised in society after the film ‘Pay it Forward’ came out in the year 2000. If you haven’t watched it (and I suggest you do), it is basically about a teacher who gives his young class an assignment which required them to come up with a way for changing the world. One unique kid in the class then comes up with the pay it forward concept and preaches it to the rest of his class, in hopes to start a chain reaction of kind actions.
This concept basically means doing any random act of kindness, whenever you get the chance, that doesn’t involve compensation; that is, not receiving any profit out of it. Basically it’s meant for one person to do an act of kindness to another individual to create a domino affect.
Honestly, this is my favourite concept of “changing the world”. I’ll tell you why! We all wish to make a change in the world, make the world a better place…basically big hopes and dreams. The world…it is definitely a big place…7 billion people is a lot of people. The phrase “changing the world” scares us because it is such a big task!! I don’t blame you, I know what you’re thinking; “oh I’m so small, I’m not an important public figure, I can’t do anything big”. Well that is where you’re wrong.
If each one of us in this world were to do one random act of kindness a day, eventually it’ll all add up. You don’t need to have a lot of money or assets to make someone else’s day or life better. All you need is a heart…yes I know it sounds cheesy, but it’s literally what it is.
I’ll give you a few examples of paying it forward:
- Paying for someone’s coffee
- Hold the door for someone behind you
- Clean out your closet, and see what you don’t need. Those toys, board games, clothes, shoes may be old to you, but someone else’s new
- Donate Blood! 1 pint saves three lives!
- Share your umbrella with someone on a rainy day
- I absolutely love this idea, I never thought about it: Instead of people giving you gifts for your birthday or a holiday, ask them to donate whatever they bought for you to your favourite charity organisation
- If you’re parking ticket still has a few hours left on it, pass it on to someone else
- Leave motivation quotes or kind words on a stick-it not and place it in library books
- When you’re out buying fast food, buy an extra meal for a homeless person
- When someone wants to repay you for something you bought them, ask them to pay it forward!
These are just a few of the simplest acts of kindness you can do, there are plenty more out there! Remember it comes completely from you and you only, you’re not doing it to impress anyone. Make a difference because you can right now. Use your time here in this world to spread kindness and do your part.
“We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery, we need humanity. More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness.” — Charlie Chaplin
“We should give as we would receive: cheerfully, quickly, and without hesitation; for there is no grace in a benefit that sticks to the fingers.” — Seneca (4 BCE-65 CE) Roman Statesman
Here are a few real life examples of paying it forward: